RIDE OR DINE UPDATE: "Staycay ->Vacay" Marriott Bonvoy members link your account with Uber and UberEats. Get 3x points/dollar on rides and 2x-6x points/dollar on dining! Check your Uber App for details. 07/26/21
Choice hotels sent notice that my rewards points are set to expire. I hate to lose anything, so it sent me into a panic. OK, I’m exaggerating. I have options, and if you do too, if you find yourself in this position.
If you’ve accumulated a few points (1000 or more) but aren’t looking to book a hotel stay anytime soon – here are few things, you can do with your rewards points.
- 1- Book a room for you, a friend, and/or a family member. Reserve the room in both your names. If you’re not going to check in – your guest can and stay on your free points. (Disclaimer: Verify your hotel’s policy. In my case, my daughter checked in ahead of my arrival (I was a no-show), and she was fine.)
- 2 – Donate reward points to your favorite charity through your rewards program. Choice Rewards has an option that allows you to donate with a minimum of 1000 points to organizations such as the American Red Cross.
- 3 – Transfer points to your airline rewards account. Choice has a partnership with United Airlines, Southwest, and Alaska Airlines, to name a few. A minimum of 6000 points nets 1800 loyalty points on SWA.
- 4 – Buy retail goods, magazines, gift cards, and even Facebook gift cards? Christmas shopping with rewards points is a win for stocking stuffers and gifts.
- 5 – Cruise away -redeem hotel stays and airline miles for cruise credits.
- 6 – And there’s more… but first, you must sign up.
You’re going to travel anyway – might as well join the rewards program of your favorite hotels, motels, trains, planes, auto rentals, et al. Who knows, if you collect enough points, all your travel might be for free.